Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Some things in life are just worth the wait.

Drum roll please...

I've made my decision! I'm going to DVC to pursue a Baking and Pastry Arts Certificate. I also plan to get another certificate in Restaurant Management (who knows when it might come in handy anyway? :) It's interesting because DVC was ultimately my first choice, but I struggled with it because it meant a big life changing move to NorCal. With all the expenses and the fact that I would be living on my own for the first time in my life was a big issue. A part of me wanted to take the easy way out and just go to a local school so I could commute from home which would ultimately be easier to handle. But after many weeks of researching and late nights I came to the conclusion to what I really wanted, what I really needed. A program that would suit my needs and interests but also help me get to where I want to be in life, to become a Pastry Chef Extraordinaire. So in the end, DVC came out to be the best choice. The only con I would say is I start in Fall 2012. Part II of my plan is to work and save for the next year (yes, that means cutting out coupons :) and hopefully I will have enough saved to reach my destination.

Well I couldn't very well leave this post without mentioning what I spent my entire weekend doing (well almost...). Since I get the pleasure of working with a good high school friend of mine, I decided that for her birthday that I would go out with a bang and make her a island theme cake. I originally got this idea from the super fancy FoodNetwork Magazine (so their idea, I just executed it! heh)


It's a Coconut Cake filled with whipped cream and coconut buttercream frosting :) The skewers are made with strawberry and dried white peaches (whoo hoo Trader Joe's!) The plate is really cool too! It is a Hawaiian flip flop (which matched the card too hehe). Sometimes it just really all works out.

Here's an aerial view of the cake...


Pretty Cool huh? :)

Cheers! Have a wonderful week everyone. And a have a Happy Birthday Naomi! 

No comments:

Post a Comment